Hop Along Queen Ansleis is a female fronted band with Frances Quinlan (guitar and vocals), Dominic Angelella (electric and slide guitar) and Mark Quinlan (drums). They spent much of the spring recording three songs for a 10" vinyl called Wretches to be released by Salinas Records. It will be available for purchase around mid-July and during the tour from Pittsburgh and onward. Hear it on Myspace! and CATCH THE TOUR!!!!!!
4. Drink Up Buttercup Piano’s Residency 2/ 20 / 08 I love this band. What struck me is the gloriously jam-packed uproar they create. Extraordinary harmonies, lyrics and instrumentation are audible simultaneously. Nothing is sacrificed. Edgy disorder gone right! more!
5. Drink Up Buttercup Less Artists More Condos 04 / 2008 My astute and musically credentialed friend described their music with one awesome idiom, “Campfire Metal”. Shit, wish I came up with that one. and.....
6. CMJ Day 2 Seriously Happy 10 / 25 / 08 Drink Up Buttercup is a conglomeration of everything that is right with music. and....
7. Drink Up Buttercup Sick Night of Catchiness 12 / 15 / 08 They are eye and ear candy mixed with the roaring crash of metal and sweet swell of harmony. Moving about the stage, falling to the ground, operatic vibrato, tambourine in mouth theatrics abound but the music is the essential ingredient of Drink Up Buttercup. blahblahblah
8. Kidrockers Don’t Kid Down Jeffrey Lewis / Drink Up Buttercup 02 /09 Drink up thought for their next song the kids would follow them to the center of the venue for a stomp and clap sing-along. Watching the faces of the band turning toward their abandoned instruments to sing to their little comrades of music who stayed firmly on the stage was a riot. When the set was finally over our MC’s referred to it as the best trash can related Jam ever! and so on...
9. Shilpa Ray Drink Up Buttercup Piano’s 5/ 23 / 09 As audacious as their shows are the band members are unassuming and unpretentious. They are happy to perform and welcoming. That enthusiasm translates. Most bands profess a style and do variations on it. Not DUB. They change styles and genres within songs making variety part of the mix. Last night only exemplified that which sets them apart. more
10. Drink Up Buttercup Full Tilt Acoustic @ Northside Fest 06 / 2009 The drunken barbershop quartet proceeded with full tilt acoustic gusto. The diaphragms of all three vocalists were in working order, enough to project across the packed bar space.
UNTIL THE NEXT TIME................................................................................................................
Guilty as charged I contributed to the first round of drinks and there were too many that followed within the set. But the band put on a spectacular show and somehow had enough energy to be whisked away in their van to do a video for L magazine. When I asked Simon their manager where they were going he said, "to North Sex" in his very thick Irish brogue. At the time it all made good sense. I guess I was just too aroused to realize they were off to North Sixth Street.
The interview was very curious. NPR isn’t exactly mainstream but it seemed kind of odd that the DIY collective philosophy of Jesse Rifkin was foreign to John Schaefer. Jesse was steady in his convictions and eager to explain his music philosophy about community, sharing music for free and his rotating live music concept.
I applaud Soundcheck for giving The Wailing Wall the opportunity. Hearing the music and the interview helped me get off my miserable self doubting, lack of posting ass and get back to writing about awesome music. Thanks Jesse for revitalising my spirits and doing things your own way! Will be downloading tomorrow and look forward to The Wailing Wall live experience!
JDub Records will be releasing his debut LP Hospital Blossom for free on June 9th.
Soundcheck show HERE
FREE DOWNLOAD HERE @ JDub
Photo Credit: Joseph Van Meter Lawton